What are you settling for?

                                      May 8th 2011.
WHAT ARE YOU SETTLING FOR???
A wise man once said that great things come to a man that knows what he wills and wills it with all his heart. And although I have forgotten who exactly this wise man was, his words have had such a great impact on my life that I try to apply them wherever I can in my life.
            I have just made it through what could appropriately be termed the longest week of my life and when I decided to sit back and review why it had qualified for this prestigious position, I realized that it is because underneath it all, am still an insecure approval-seeking unconfident little girl. I have since given up on remembering the particular incident that scarred me so much that I need everybody to like me, but I suspect it’s a series of events that led  me to believe everyone had to like me in order for me to be happy. I have also since given up on pretending and trying to prove to myself it is not so. Even then it still hurts to know that sometimes I have to sell myself short and settle for less than I think I deserve.
So I decided to take a soul searching journey to see if I can find out what exactly makes us settle for just about anything that is thrown our way. Although I wanted to say that it’s because we are afraid, or because we do not know that we are worth much more, I cannot. And even though am dying to say that we should never settle for just basic normalcy and that we should chase our dreams and never settle till we are happy, I cannot do that either. Because the plain truth of the matter is in the world that we are living in, one is lucky if anything gets thrown one’s way. And so what I will say is, hang on to whatever you have. With both hands! Life is unfair like that. If by some unseemly twist of fate you end up actually getting what you want and deserve, then good for you. And if you don’t, then you will be glad you appreciated the little you have.            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anything but ordinary

Thoughts on a humid Sunday midnight

Trolley Dash